Saturday, September 19, 2009

Movie Review: 9

I loved 9. Just as I suspected, it was epic AND adorable. So, here are my 9 reasons for loving 9:



1. I really liked the story line (except for the end which got to be a little too sentimental for my tastes). It was interesting, and although it was another post-apocalyptic-world-story, it was kind of different and cool.



2. It was a little bit creepy at times. There was a little kid with his dad in our theatre and I felt kinda bad for the kid because a few parts really creeped me out. There was a dead body or two (which wasn't really scary but if I was a little kid I would probably be freaked out) , and some scary monster-robot thingies.



3. I liked the animation. I had read before seeing the movie that the director wanted it to be an animated movie that wasn't just for kids, and he certainly succeeded with that. At times, the animation was really beautiful (especially the scenery/ lanscapes, etc.).

4. The characters were compelling and lovable. They succeeded in personifying several distinct aspects of humanity/human nature. I especially loved 1, 3 & 4 (who, as shown above, were sort of a pair), and 6.



5. There were some (read: a very few) funny parts. The magnet was very funny (I think it was about the only time that the whole theatre was laughing). In case you haven't seen it yet, magnets pretty much seem to be "drugs" for the little robot characters. There were a few other funny parts, but for the most part, the movie was pretty serious.



6. The voice acting was, for the most part, excellent. Christopher Plummer, Martin Landau, and Crispin Glover were great, and Elijah Wood, Jennifer Connelly, and John C. Reilly were very good too.



7. Believe it or not, I really liked the action sequences! They were a lot of fun and I especially liked how whenever they were really starting to get beaten up by one of the monster-things, another little sock-puppet-robot would pop out and come to the rescue!



8. It left me with things to think about. Whenever I read a text or watch a film, one of the biggest things that I like to examine is the relationships between characters, and this film gave me lots of opportunities to do that. I think that the relationship between 7 and 2 (remember the awkward hug?), 7 and 1 (remember the flashback?) or even the friendship between 2 and 5 or 8's loyalty to 1 could be examined and analyzed (sorry, I guess it's the English teacher in me).



9. It was awesome! 'Nuff said. (Actually, I can't really think of a ninth reason). It was cute and thought-provoking and action-packed and really just an excellent movie. It really wasn't just one of those animated movies made just for kids. I loved it. So go watch it. Now.

1 comment:

  1. Aww I loved your review Eskimo and with the pictures too :)

    ReplyDelete